6/15/10

CAN YOU FIND THE SALAD IN THIS PICTURE? A story by Janet Dandridge.



Since I was a kid, folks have known that Janet enjoys fine cuisine.  I enjoy food that is prepared with love and respect and various tasty seasonings.  You may ask, how can food be prepared with respect?  I answer, by giving a person what they asked for and not misleading them to think that they’ll be getting one thing, when they are really getting another.  And when you are a food fanatic, it’s even more disrespectful to try and fool that connoisseur.  I am very picky about what I put into my body and for that reason I ask legitimate questions when ordering food if necessary.  If a menu states that you will receive a salad, egg roll, and entrée for $8.50, I’m expecting an egg roll – I’ll ask if it’s vegetarian and/or poultry – an entrée, and an actual salad – not a block of iceberg lettuce.  Even the dictionary states that a salad consists of vegetables and salad dressing.  All I’m saying is, just don’t play with my food yo! 

So, can you find the salad in the picture above?  I ask because I do not know what that lettuce situation is, but apparently the waiter called it a salad.  I’m confused because I do not understand how a restaurant could stay in business trying to bamboozle their customers.  If you say that with the lunch deal you get a salad, then give me a real salad – not partially withered iceberg lettuce with some sesame juice on it.  Nah, that doesn’t cut it.  For me, a salad is an array of colorful vegetables (and fruit sometimes) that you place on a plate, in a bowl, or in a Tupperware container, mixed together with a little bit of good salad dressing to get the most nutrients as possible.  There’s red onions, yellow peppers, jalapenos, peppercinis, cucumbers, carrots, mushrooms, avocado, and red tomatoes, with a little bit of Balsamic Vinaigrette.  Give me my real salad damn it!!  Needless to say, I will not be returning to that restaurant which is located in Brentwood, California.  Exactly, Brentwood.  Of all the places in Los Angeles, I thought that Brentwooders would have said something about this ridiculous, pitiful excuse for a salad!  But keeping in mind all of the more important things in the world, I guess it’s not a big deal.  But when we keep in mind what’s going on in the world and how lots of folks’ pockets have more lint balls than cash in it, don’t play around with me, my money, and my food.  If you say that I am going to get a salad with my meal, then give me what I’m paying for.  But I guess that’s what I paid for, a “salad” that was created using the awesome imagination of a restaurant owner who obviously cares more about stuffing his pockets with cash than giving people what they deserve for their hard-earned money.  Thank you capitalism, for your uber moral and ethical standards.  And thank you readers, for listening to me vent (well, reading my venting). 

Janet’s Tasty Tip: Remember that your cash can go a long way at the right place.  You just have to take a moment and find the deals – they’re definitely out there.

Places to go where you can get a real good food deal:
The Vegan Joint – 10438 National, WLA [site]
Chipotle – although it’s owned by McDonald’s, they’re pretty healthy if you don’t ask for a Burro Burrito [site]
Almaza – 8905 Venice, WLA [yelp]
Your own kitchen – wherever you live
Swingers – 802 Broadway, Santa Monica [site] (service is usually not great, but there’s always a diamond in the rough, and they stay open late during the week)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails